Quick Links


Academic Record

Grading Options  |  Updating Biographical Information  |  Change of Major/Minor  |  Enrollment Verification  |  Cadivi Letters  |  Common Application

Grading Options

If students do not see a grade posted on their transcript they should contact their professor, as the professor would be the ones approving/submitting the grade the student earned in the class.


Grading Option

Each Academic Unit is responsible for determining a course’s grading option. Courses may be offered for a letter grade (A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C, D, F) or Pass/Fail (P for pass or F for fail). Courses offered with a grading option (OP) allow students to choose a letter grade or a Pass/Fail grade. The grading option must be indicated at the time of registration and may not be changed after the Add/Drop period. There are no exceptions to this deadline.


Audited courses are part of a student’s official academic record and will be recorded on the transcript. These courses do not count towards total credits earned nor do they affect the student’s GPA. Audited courses are assessed tuition based on the current fee schedule. Students wishing to audit a course (AU) must obtain written permission from the instructor on departmental letterhead. Students have until the end of the Add/Drop period to request a course to be audited. Once a course has been requested as an audit, the grading option may not be changed. There are no exceptions to this deadline.

Variable Credits

For certain courses, the student has the option to decide how many credits he/she would like to enroll in. This is called a variable credit class.

Late Drops

Courses dropped after the official Add/Drop Period are recorded on the transcript with a grade of “DR” (dropped). Students are financially liable for all courses dropped after the Add/Drop period.


A withdrawal grade (WI) is assigned if the student wishes to drop all courses for a particular semester or withdrawal from the university after the Add/Drop period. The Academic Calendar contains the appropriate semester deadlines for completing a withdrawal with a 25% refund of tuition and for completing a withdrawal without refund of tuition. Students who wish to obtain a withdrawal grade should visit the Office of the Registrar to obtain the Withdrawal Form. This form must be completed in full and signed by several departments, including but not limited to, the Office of Financial Aid, the Office of Student Financials, and the Library. International students and Veterans are required to obtain additional signatures before the Withdrawal Form can be returned to the Office of the Registrar for processing.

Incomplete Grade

An incomplete grade (IN) is a temporary symbol given at the discretion of the instructor for work not completed due to serious interruption, not caused by the student's own negligence. Students receiving an incomplete grade must complete the appropriate coursework within two semesters (including summer). If coursework is not completed in this time frame, the incomplete grade (IN) will automatically default to a failing grade (F). Students should not re-enroll in the same course to make up the incomplete grade. To change an incomplete grade, the student should speak directly to the course instructor to have the appropriate documentation submitted.

If a student receives an incomplete grade and has applied for graduation at the end of the term, he or she must complete the incomplete grade prior to the conferral of the degree. The Graduation Office begins to confer degrees on the day grades are released and continues within the timeframe given to them by the State of Florida. If the student does not complete the incomplete with the established timeframe, the student’s graduation will be denied and he or she will need to apply for graduation for the following term.

Change of Grade

If a student believes that he or she received the wrong grade for a course, the student should speak to the course instructor first. If there was an error in the grading roster, the course instructor will be responsible for initiating action to update the grade for the student. Change of grade requests must be approved by the course instructor, the College or School’s Dean’s Office, and may require additional approval from the Provost’s Office if the change of grade is for a course that was not taken within the last 12 months.

Forgiveness Policy

The Forgiveness Policy is a method by which students may repeat a limited number of courses, provided the grade earned is less than a "C-" to improve their grade point average (GPA). Only the grade received on the last repeat is used in the GPA calculation.

Students must file a Forgiveness Policy Form with the Office of the Registrar. The form should be completed and submitted once the student has repeated the course and grades are posted. All courses taken with the grades earned will be recorded on the student’s transcript.

Undergraduate students may use the forgiveness policy a maximum of three times for the purpose of improving their GPA. The same course (prefix and number) may be repeated up to three times or the student may use the three opportunities to apply to three different courses. Only the final grade for the three courses repeated under the forgiveness policy will be counted in computing the student’s GPA. In order for a course to be considered as repeated and adjusted in the GPA, the course must be the same course with identical course prefix and course number and must be repeated at the University. Students who have used their three options under the forgiveness policy may still repeat courses; however, both the original grade and any additional grades received through repetitions of the course will be used in computing the GPA.

A course taken on a letter grade basis must be repeated on the same basis. Students will not be allowed additional credit or quality points for a repeated course unless the course is specifically designated as repeatable (independent study, studio courses, etc.). Students not using the forgiveness policy may still repeat a course. All attempts will apply to computation of the GPA but credit for one attempt will apply towards graduation. Students must check with the appropriate academic department to determine whether there are additional restrictions on repeating courses.

The forgiveness policy cannot be used once a degree is posted.

[Back to Top]

Updating Biographical Information

Change of Name

Change of Name requests may be completed in person at the Office of the Registrar in PC 130. Students must show documents that prove that they have legally changed their name.  Change of Name Request Form

[Back to Top]

Change of Address

Students can update all addresses, except permanent address, online in the MyFIU portal. This includes the student’s home address, mailing address, and financial aid address. Students who do not have online access must file a Change of Address form to the Office of the Registrar.

[Back to Top]

Change of Major/Minor

Current students who wish to change/update their major need to bring the Change of Major Form to the advisor in the major they wish to change into. Academic Departments have the right to review and accept (or not accept) students into the requested major. Accepted students should bring the Program/Plan Declaration Form with the advisor’s signature to the Office of the Registrar for processing.

Adding a Minor

Current students who wish to change/add a minor need to bring the Change of Major Form to the advisor in the minor they wish to change into. Academic Departments have the right to review and accept (or not accept) students into the requested minor. Accepted students should bring the Program/Plan Declaration Form with the advisor’s signature to the Office of the Registrar for processing.

Removing a Major or a Minor

Current students who would like to remove a major or a minor from their academic plan must submit a Change of Major Form to the OneStop Department with a Photo ID for processing.

Adding a Second Bachelors Degree

Current students that wish to declare a second bachelor degree prior to the completion of the first bachelor degree program need to bring the Change of Major Form to advisor in the desired Second Bachelor Department. Academic Departments have the right to review and accept (or not accept) students into the requested program. Accepted students should bring the Program/Plan Declaration Form with the advisor’s signature to the Office of the Registrar for processing.

Students who have already completed their First Bachelor Degree (not active students) should apply for a Second Bachelor Degree through the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. If the student is still active they can complete the Change of Major Form be sure to have the second bachelors degree section signed and stamped by the academic department. Student can then submit to the OneStop Department.

[Back to Top]

Enrollment Verification

The Enrollment Verification form can not be completed until after the Add/drop period for the term that the enrollment information is requested. You can request an Enrollment Verification one of three ways:

1. Official Enrollment Verifications can be obtained and printed through my.fiu.edu, STUDENT CENTER. Go to 'Registrar Links', click on 'Enrollment Verification'.

2. Student can request official Enrollment Verification in person at OneStop, MMC, SASC 126; BBC AC1 100.

3. Requests can also be uploaded online via my.fiu.edu. Follow the submission instructions, located at the bottom of the Enrollment Verification request.

For letters of non-attendance, please email FIUverify@fiu.edu along with a Photo ID.

NOTE: Please check your student account for any financial holds. We will be unable to process these requests if financial holds are present on your account.

Third Party Verification Requests

Florida International University has authorized the National Student Clearinghouse to provide degree and enrollment verifications to employers and background screening firms. For further assistance, please contact the National Student Clearinghouse:

Web: www.studentclearinghouse.org   Email: service@studentclearinghouse.org    

Phone: (703) 742-4200

Mail: National Student Clearinghouse
2300 Dulles Station Boulevard
Suite 300
Herndon, VA 20171

[Back to Top]

Cadivi Letters

FIU students that are associated with the CADIVI program in Venezuela should submit a Cadivi Letter Request Form to the Student Financials Office, PC 120. After the Student Financials Office has verified the student’s financial information, the form is delivered to the Office of the Registrar to complete the remaining enrollment information. Cadivi Letters will be provided after the Add/Drop Period for the term for which the letter is requested. Students should receive an email confirming that the letter is ready to be picked up at the Office of the Registrar in PC 130 approximately 3-5 business days after the Add/Drop period. The letter may be notarized in the Graham Center Main Office, if necessary.
Please note that all students on F1 or J1 visas that require a Cadivi letter should submit the request form to the International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) at the Modesto A. Maidique Campus, GC 355.  Graduate students in the College of Business should submit the Cadivi Letter Request Form to their Program Manager.

[Back to Top]

Common Application

FIU students who are using the Common Application to transfer to another institution should bring the application form and a postage-paid envelope with the transfer school’s address to the Office of the Registrar, PC 130.  After the Office of the Registrar has placed the seal on the form, it is delivered to the Office of Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution to complete the remaining questions and to mail the application to the transfer institution. There are no exceptions to this process. Students should be diligent and submit the application to the Office of the Registrar well before the deadline established by the transfer institution.

[Back to Top]

FIU Homepage
Florida International University
Modesto A. Maidique Campus - SASC 126
1401 S.W. 108th Avenue
Miami, Florida 33199

Find us on:


Contact Us:

About Us