Quick Links




Who is my advisor?

  • Students should contact their academic department for information concerning advisement.  Some departments assign advisors while others have them available on an as needed basis.

Who can tell me if I am ready to graduate?

  • Students should meet with an advisor to review the course work necessary for the completion of a degree.

[Back to Top]

Apostille Information

[Back to Top]

Award of Degree

When will my transcript reflect that I have earned my degree?

  • After the degree is posted, the official transcript will reflect the student’s earned degree.  This can take four to five weeks after grades are posted for the semester. The unofficial transcript and degree verification also reflect earned degrees. The student may view the unofficial transcript online at http://my.fiu.edu
  • Official transcripts can be requested online and by calling Credentials, Inc. Please click here to learn how to order your official transcript.
  • Degree verifications can be requested via email (fiuverify@fiu.edu) or National Student Clearinghouse. Please click here to view more information about degree verifications.


  • Note: Completing a graduation application or attending commencement does not imply the student has earned a diploma.  Please do not assume it is automatic and always confirm completion of the degree by viewing the transcript.

[Back to Top]

Cancellation of Graduation Application

  • Students who need to cancel their graduation application should file a Graduation Ineligibility Form with their academic advisor. Students will not be able to continue to enroll in coursework the following semester if they have not formally canceled graduation. 
  • The Graduation Ineligibility Form must be signed by the academic advisor, the Academic Dean, and stamped by the department.
  • The form should be uploaded through the MyFIU Student Center (my.fiu.edu).
  • Your graduation application is valid only for the semester in which you apply. This means that if you cancel your application for graduation, you must re-apply for the semester you intend to graduate in.

[Back to Top]

College or School 

What is my college or school? 

  •  Your College and School depends on your major. The list of colleges and schools is available on the Academics section of the FIU website.

[Back to Top]

Commencement Information/Procedures

What is the difference between Commencement and Graduation?

  • Graduation – Fulfillment of academic requirements and the award of a degree and diploma
  • Commencement – A ceremony where graduates walk dressed in academic regalia (cap and gown) to be congratulated by the university’s leadership and faculty

Commencement is just the celebration. It doesn't mean you've officially graduated.

When is Commencement held?

  •  Commencement ceremonies are held at the end of the Fall, Spring, and Summer semesters. Visit the Commencement website for ceremony dates, times, location and other information.
Do I have to apply for Commencement?
  •  Yes, students confirm attendance for commencement after they have applied for graduation.  Students interested in attending commencement should visit the Commencement website for more information.
Do I need to get “cleared” to walk (participate in Commencement)?
  • Students do not need to get “cleared” to participate in Commencement. If you have an active graduation application on your account and have purchased your guest tickets, you may participate in Commencement.
How many tickets do we get for Commencement?
  • Students can claim 2 complimentary guest tickets and purchase up to 4 additional guest tickets for $7.00 each.
  • Students will be made aware of leftover tickets, if any, via email from the Commencement Committee.
  • Note: Commencement guest tickets must be ordered online during the time the ticketing system is open.
  • Note: Tickets quantities are limited and are sold at a first-come, first-served basis.
Do I need tickets for my children?

  • As required by Fire Code Regulations, every person entering the event venue, regardless of age, needs a ticket.  
Do I need a ticket for myself?
  • If you are a graduate, your Commencement Pass is your personal ticket.


[Back to Top]

Credit Hours Required to Earn a Degree

How many credits do I need for a Bachelor degree, a Master degree, a Specialist degree or Doctorate?

  • Most Bachelor degree programs require a minimum of 120 credits for a BA or BS degree.  Please confirm your requirements in the catalog and contact your advisor for additional detailed information.
  • The number of credits required is unique to each program for a Master degree, a Specialist degree, or a Doctoral degree.  Check the University Graduate Catalog in the year you were admitted to determine the number of credits you need. 

[Back to Top]

Degree Posting

What does "posted" mean?

  • When you have completed the requirements for your degree, the Graduation Office updates transcript to show that your degree has been awarded.
Why does it take so long to post my degree?
  • Every application is individually scrutinized to ensure that all the requirements for the awarding of the degree have been met. Posting takes the Graduation Office an estimated four to five weeks after the grades are received.
Can I take a course after my degree is posted and use this for that degree?

  • Once your degree is posted, any course you take will be counted toward your next degree, and will be reflected on your transcript under the current academic status.

[Back to Top]



Why can't I have any name I want on my diploma?

  • The diploma is an official, legal document and must reflect your true and correct legal name. Name changes require a birth certificate, passport, naturalization documentation, marriage certificate, divorce decree and/or certified court order of name change. To change your name please complete and submit Change of Name form with the proper documentation. The instructions to submit can be found on the form.

How do I get my diploma?

  • Diplomas are mailed to your home address which you can update online. To change your address, please fill out and submit a Change of Address form.
Will my second major show on my diploma?
  • No, only your primary major will be on your diploma. Your transcript will reflect both majors. 
Will my minor show on my diploma?
  • No, only your primary major will show on your diploma. The minor will be reflected on your transcript.
I finished my courses in Summer A, why do I have to wait 4 weeks after Summer C to get my diploma?
  • Summer is considered one semester, even though it contains two mini-terms. Therefore, degree posting begins at the end of Summer C.
How can I get a duplicate copy of my diploma?
  • The University issues only one diploma upon graduation. This is a legal document, similar to a birth or naturalization certificate, showing official proof that you have been awarded a degree by Florida International University. Students wishing to acquire a duplicate diploma should fill out a Diploma Re-Order Form and submit it to the OneStop office.
  • How do I re-order my diploma?
  • Students who wish to re-order a diploma should complete the Diploma Re-Order Form and submit proof of payment ($10) to the Office of the Registrar.  Re-orders may take several weeks to complete.

[Back to Top]

Failing a Course

If I fail a course, can I audit the class or repeat the course next semester and still graduate now?

  • No. If the course is required for your program, you will need to cancel your graduation and re-apply for the following term. You will not be eligible to add courses for the following term with an active graduation application. If you have not used all of your forgiveness policies, you might wish to use one for this class.

[Back to Top]

Graduation Application

How do I apply for graduation?
  • Students are encouraged to meet with their advisor to ensure that there are no delays in the graduation process. To apply for graduation, students must log into their MyFIU portal and select “Apply for Graduation” under the Academics drop down menu. Graduation application deadlines are available on the Academic Calendar
Is there a deadline to apply for graduation?
  • We have a strictly enforced deadline to apply for graduation. These dates are posted in the academic calendar of the Student Handbook, the Catalog, and on the Web. 

If I cannot graduate, why do I have to re-apply for graduation?

  • Your graduation application is valid only for the semester in which you apply. This means that if you have not fulfilled the requirements for graduation, you must re-apply for the semester you think you will graduate.

I have received a "will not graduate" notice (typed letter). What do I do?

  • A “will not graduate” notice indicates your academic unit (department) decided you do not meet your degree requirements. As the email states, speak with your advisor as soon as possible regarding your requirements. If the original information provided to the Graduation Office by the advisor is incorrect, the department will need to submit a new graduation certification or Memo.
  • Should the advisor's paperwork be submitted to the graduation office before the deadline, you will be able to graduate. If not, you may need to re-apply for graduation for the following semester.

I have received a graduation notification. What do I do?

  • If you received a Denial email notification, the Graduation Department has reviewed your application and found that you do not meet the requirements for your degree. Follow the instructions in the notification by completing the items marked and/or noted. Once you have completed the items, contact the Graduation Office to verify if the changes made have cleared you for graduation. Should you meet the deadlines on the notification, you may be able to graduate for the semester you applied. If you are not able to meet the deadline on the notification, you will need to re-apply for graduation for the following semester (graduation applications are only valid for one semester).
  • [Back to Top]


What GPA do I need to be awarded with honors?

  • Undergraduate students with qualifying GPAs will receive special honors that will be denoted on the student’s transcript and diploma.  Students eligible for honors by GPA are also required to have a minimum of 40 credit hours at FIU (not including “P” or “AU” grades) to receive honors (there is no upward rounding in GPA’s).
  • Cum Laude – 3.5-3.699
  • Magna Cum Laude – 3.7-3.899
  • Summa Cum Laude – 3.9-4.0

Why do graduate programs not award honors?

  • Graduate students are expected to maintain a high GPA.

[Back to Top]

Incomplete Grades

When are incomplete grades due?

  • If you have applied for graduation, you must hand in any outstanding work to the instructor, by the end of the semester for which you have applied. This will allow the instructor enough time to grade your work, turn in the change of grade form, and meet the graduation deadline. If you have not applied for graduation, you have two semesters (including summer) to submit all relevant coursework.
  • You cannot graduate (receive a diploma) with incomplete grades, even if the course(s) are not needed as part of your degree requirements.

[Back to Top]

Second Major or Second Degree

What is the difference between a second major and a second degree?

  • To graduate with two undergraduate majors, you need to complete approximately 120-130 credits and will need to finish both majors concurrently. A diploma will be awarded for the first major and a notation denoting both majors will be reflected on your official transcript. For a second degree, you will need a minimum of 150 credits and you will receive a second diploma.

[Back to Top]

FIU Homepage
Florida International University
Modesto A. Maidique Campus - SASC 126
1401 S.W. 108th Avenue
Miami, Florida 33199

Find us on:


Contact Us:

About Us