Skip to Main Content

Outgoing FIU Transient Student

FIU students may attend other State University System or Florida College System institutions as a transient student. Please see your academic advisor for approval and information. It is recommended that you contact the school you plan to attend to find out their registration requirements and deadlines.

Transient forms must be completed electronically through the Florida Shines website. These forms will automatically be routed to your FIU advisor for course approval, the Registrar for certification, and to the school you indicate you will attend. You will be advised of the status of the application throughout the process via e-mail. If you are planning on taking course(s) at a private or non-Florida institution, please contact that institution to find out about their non-degree application process. You may want to consult with your FIU academic advisor to ensure the course(s) you are taking can transferred back to FIU to satisfy your current program requirements. 

Upon completing the course, University regulations require that an official transcript be sent to us so that the course can be applied to your official Florida International University transcript. Please contact the Registrar’s Office of the institution you attended (Transient Institution) and request to send your transcripts to FIU.

Please note:  Students receiving financial aid must pay tuition for the courses at the transient institutions. Students will be reimbursed from their home institution when their financial aid is disbursed which is often after payment deadlines and add/drop periods.

Instructions for Outgoing Transient Student Admission Application:

  1. Have your course information ready (including the course prefix, number, credit hours, and title).
  2. Meet with your advisor to obtain approval for course(s) prior to submitting the online application.
  3. Obtain your PIN number from your MyFIU account, under the Profile tile.  Select "Personal Identification Number."
  4. Log on to
  5. Select "Succeed in College." Then select “Take a course at another school.” 
  6. Click on “Apply or Check Application Status Now.”  

Incoming Visiting Transient Student

Incoming transient students are students seeking a degree at another Florida public institution and would like to take courses at FIU on a temporary basis.  All Florida State College and University students will need to complete the electronic Transient Student Application through the Florida Shines website. Once submitted and approved to FIU, your application will be processed by the Office of the Registrar and you will be notified via email.

If you are attending a Florida private institution or an out-of-state institution, you will need to complete the Non-degree Student Application.

Please refer to the Academic Calendar for corresponding dates and deadlines.
Last updated: March 3, 2021