Skip to Main Content

Which Credits Does FIU Accept?

FIU accepts transfer credits from regionally accredited institutions and nationally accredited institutions that participate in Florida’s Statewide Course Numbering System (SCNS). Learn more about the transfer policy.

Miami Dade, Broward or Palm Beach State College Credits

You’re in luck because there is a Transfer Guide for every major at FIU, each including a table listing prerequisites. Follow the guide to take the right courses or check which ones you can apply to your degree at FIU.

Florida Public College or University Credits

Use the Transfer Guide to find equivalent courses for your major at FIU. Although it was created with community colleges in mind, all course numbers are the same thanks to the statewide course numbering system. Follow the guide to take the right courses or check which ones you can apply to your degree at FIU.

All Other Credits

Use the Transfer Equivalency Database to find the equivalent FIU course for your transfer credits. You can also use the Transfer Guide, but if you’re transferring from a private institution, out-of-state institution, or international institution, we recommend using the titles of the prerequisites as an initial reference.

Exam Credits

See a list of exam credits FIU will accept for transfer.


Missing Transfer Credits

First thing you need to do once you are accepted to FIU is check your Transfer Credit Report in MyFIU. This will show all credits that have successfully transferred and which ones did not. Use the link below to log in and see your report. If you are already logged in to MyFIU, log out to avoid error. See Access MyFIU for help. You can also access it by selecting the 'Academic Records' tile.

View My Transfer Credit Report

If you feel there has been a mistake, you can get your credits reviewed by an advisor. Contact Transfer & Transition Services if the missing course is a lower division credit (UCC credits) or contact your advisor if it is an upper division credit (3000-4000/junior-senior level).

Don’t retake the same class for no reason! Even if your credits were rejected for transfer, contact us if you think you’ve already taken a similar class at your previous college or university. You may be able to get credits after all.

Contact Us

Transferring credits is messy work. Half the battle is knowing which department you need to contact for help.

  • Future students and applicants should contact their Admissions Counselors. These counselors can give you one-on-one guidance based on the institution you are transferring from.
  • Current  students transferring lower division credits (UCC credits) should contact Transfer & Transition Services to resolve credits that haven’t transferred yet and for credit-by-exam.
  • Current students transferring upper division credits(3000-4000/junior-senior level) should contact their advisor to resolve credits that haven’t transferred yet.
  • Current or former students trying to transfer credits from FIU should contact OneStop. Keep in mind if you are a non-degree student you need to record your own credits since they will not be recorded on your transcript.
  • Transient students should contact Florida Shines.

International Students - Don’t contact International Student & Scholar Services for transfer credits. You’ll need to contact one of the above departments depending how far along you are with your degree.

Last updated: February 4, 2019