Skip to Main Content

When Am I Ready to Graduate?

Your advisor will be able to tell you when you are ready to graduate. Students should meet with an advisor to review the course work necessary for the completion of a degree.

Credits Required to Graduate:

  • Bachelor's degree - Most Bachelor degree programs require a minimum of 120 credits for a BA or BS degree.
  • Master's degree, specialist's degree or doctorate - The number of credits required is unique to each program for a Master degree, a Specialist degree, or a Doctoral degree.

Please confirm your requirements in the Catalog (select the year you were admitted to determine the number of credits you need) and contact your advisor for additional detailed information.


FERPA Notice For Graduating Students

Students who have a FERPA restriction on their records will be excluded from the Commencement Booklet and any Virtual Commencement Ceremonies.  Should you wish to be included, you must provide consent in writing to the Office of the Registrar, at least 3 weeks prior to the last day to apply for graduation for the term.  You may also remove your FERPA restriction on-line through your MyFIU account by the deadline to apply for graduation for the term. 

Please visit the FIU FERPA website for more information.


How to Apply

To apply for graduation, students must log into their MyFIU. See Access MyFIU for help. Log in and select 'Academic Records,' then 'Apply for Graduation.'

OR Use this link to Log in & Apply for GraduationIf are already logged in to MyFIU, please log out so you do not get an error.

You will receive an graduation notification once your application has been approved or denied based on the requirements to graduate set by your College or School.

Once you receive an approved graduation notification, you can apply to Walk in Commencement.


We have a strictly enforced deadline to apply for graduation. These dates are posted in the Academic Calendar and in the Catalog.

Students are encouraged to meet with their advisor to ensure that there are no delays in the graduation process. Apply early so that if any errors occur in filing your application, you won't miss the deadline.

Associate in Arts Degree

Eligible degree-seeking students interested in having the Associate in Arts degree posted to their transcript can visit Academic and Career Success for the application and more information.

Denied Applications

If you have received a "will not graduate" notice (typed letter) it means your academic unit (department) decided you do not meet your degree requirements.

It is your responsibility to follow the instructions in the notification to complete the items marked and/or noted by the deadline. Once you have completed the items, Contact OneStop to verify if the changes made have cleared you for graduation. 

Should you meet the deadlines on the notification, you may be able to graduate for the semester you applied. If you are not able to meet the deadline on the notification, you will need to re-apply for graduation for the following semester (graduation applications are only valid for 1 semester).


Failed or Incomplete Courses

Failing a Course

If you fail a course that is required for your program, you will not be able to graduate until you repeat and successfully pass that course.

You will need to cancel your graduation and re-apply for the following term. You will not be eligible to add courses for the following term with an active graduation application. If you have not used all of your grade forgiveness policies, you might wish to use one for this class.

Incomplete Grades

If you have applied for graduation, you must hand in any outstanding work to the instructor, by the end of the semester for which you have applied. This will allow the instructor enough time to grade your work, turn in the change of grade form, and meet the graduation deadline. If you have not applied for graduation, you have two semesters (including summer) to submit all relevant coursework.

You cannot graduate (receive a diploma) with incomplete grades, even if the course(s) are not needed as part of your degree requirements.


Cancel an Application

Students who need to cancel their graduation application should file a Graduation Ineligibility Form with their academic advisor. Students will not be able to continue to enroll in coursework the following semester if they have not formally canceled graduation.

The Graduation Ineligibility Form must be signed by the academic advisor, the Academic Dean, and stamped by the department. Submit the form through MyFIU.

Your graduation application is valid only for the semester in which you apply. This means that if you cancel your application for graduation, you must re-apply for the semester you intend to graduate in.


Walk in Commencement

Here are answers to frequently asked questions about the graduation ceremonies. To learn more, visit the Commencement website.


Undergraduate students with qualifying GPAs will receive special honors that will be denoted on the student’s transcript and diploma. Students eligible for honors by GPA are also required to have a minimum of 40 credit hours at FIU (not including “P” or “AU” grades) to receive honors (there is no upward rounding in GPA’s).

  • Cum Laude – 3.5-3.699
  • Magna Cum Laude – 3.7-3.899
  • Summa Cum Laude – 3.9-4.0

Graduate degrees do not award honors for GPA.

Last updated: April 5, 2022